Winter is just around the corner; it’s time to ensure that your hives are ready for cold weather.
Keys to winter survival are feeding and queen survivability. Sugar candy (fondant) can be added to your hives for winter feeding.
SUGAR CANDY (FONDANT)
You’ll need a big kettle, a big sturdy spoon for stirring, and a candy thermometer. Essential oils can be purchased at most pharmacies, health foods stores, from essential oils dealers, or from many internet sources, as can granulated lecithin.
10 lbs. granulated sugar
2 lbs. honey
4 lbs. white corn syrup
1 1/2 Tablespoon Honey-B-Healthy
Pinch (@1/8 teaspoon) mineralized salt
Optional: 3-4 drops essential oil (peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2-3 Tablespoons water
• Combine sugar, honey, corn syrup, Honey-B-Healthy, salt, and oil, if desired. Heat to 230-242 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on how stiff you want your candy.
• Dissolve cream of tartar in water; add to candy.
• Remove from heat and stir until candy reaches @190 degrees.
• Spoon into plastic containers or plastic bags.
HONEY “B” HEALTHY RECIPE
Since Honey-B-Healthy is needed year-round, here’s a recipe to do-it-yourself.
Makes 1/2 gallon.
5 cups granulated sugar
5 cups water
15 drops spearmint oil
15 drops lemongrass oil
1/2 teaspoon granulated lecithin
• Combine water and sugar in pan and heat until sugar is dissolved; do not boil. Remove from burner and cool.
• When water is tepid, add spearmint and lemongrass oils to sugar water.
• Heat 1/2 teaspoon granulated lecithin in about 3 tablespoons water. Stir until lecithin is dissolved; when it foams, remove from heat and add to sugar water.
Add 1 tablespoon of Honey “B” Healthy to 1:1 sugar-water ratio per quart in the spring. This recipe used in early spring stimulates queen bees to lay and simulates an early nectar flow.
Meeting minutes for October 2015 have been posted…
2015 Membership Form Has Been Posted
MEBA 2015 Meeting Schedule
Meetings are the fourth Thursday each month EXCEPT for November which meets the third Thursday; there is no meeting in December. Meetings begin at 7:00 pm and last approximately 1 1/2 hours. In 2015, all monthly meetings and classes will be held in Room 201, Galax Hall, Wytheville Community College. INCLEMENT WEATHER: if WCC is closed to evening classes, MEBA will not meet.